Friday, October 21, 2011

Canning Applesauce and Apple Pie Filling



Upon being blessed with many apples from friends and family this year I've decided to try my had at some fun things.

First I tried Applesauce (Yummmmm!!!)

I probably cheated but my family and I like the way that I made our applesauce so I take that as a plus! :)

I have a fun contraption that will core and chop my apples into nice little pieces all at once.  So all I did was wash the apples, cut out any bad spots and cut with my fun contraption.  I then boiled the apples in a large stock pot with just a little bit of water until the apples were very "squishy" (I know, technically term :)).  After the apples were ready I placed them and the juice from the boiling into a food processor.  I blended until super smooth and then ladled the Applesauce into the Jars.  I then processed them in a hot water bath for 20 min (quarts).  
 
Apples=FREE
Lids= $1.09/12
Jars=FREE

Total Cost for Applesauce= $1.09/12 lids

Apple Pie Filling

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Apple Pie!!
 
The only problem is usually when I need one I don't have time to peel, spice and put all of it together.
While searching for recipes on what I could do with my many apples I found out I am able to can Apple Pie Filling (so excited!).

I followed the following recipe with a few changes.
 
2 1/2 - cups white sugar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 - cup cornstarch
3 - teaspoons cinnamon
10 - cups of water
6 pounds of tart apples, washed, peeled and thinly sliced
(I used golden delicious)

I cold packed the apples into quart sized jars and covered with the syrup from the ingredients above.  I then processed in a hot water bath for 25 min.

To make an Apple Pie now all I need to do is put a pie crust on the bottom of the pan, pour in a jar of the Apple Pie Filling and cover with a pie crust on top (vent on top).  This will cook for 30 min at 400 degrees and then I will have a homemade pie. :)

Apples=FREE
Sugars= approx $.30
Cornstarch= approx $.25
Cinnamon= pennies
Water=FREE
Lids= $.55
Jars=FREE
 
Total Cost of 6 Quarts of Apple Pie Filling=$1.05






No comments:

Post a Comment