Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Slow Cooker Chuck Roast with Veggies and Multi-Grain Rolls


While making food for an army (7 people) I decided to make 2 Slow Cooker Chuck Roasts with Veggies and Multi-grain rolls.

I started by borrowing a friends slow cooker (thanks friend! :)) so that I had 2 large slow cookers to make my roasts.  

I put a roast in each slow cooker, added a cup of water, a handful of baby carrots, 4 baking potatoes cut into pieces, and 1/2 a cartoon of mushrooms.  I covered this mixture with season salt and garlic powder and set on low for 7 hours.

While this cooked I got the multi-grain rolls out of the freezer to cook pre-dinner so that they were ready when the roasts were.

I bought them and had frozen them until this time.  I put them in a cupcake pan, covered with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 4 hours.  I then cooked them according to package directions and they were ready to go.



When the roast was finished I served the roast with the veggies that cooked with it and the rolls.

Cost for the Dinner:

2-2lb roasts ($3.33/lb): $13.32
2 Handfuls Baby Carrots: (used 2/3 package): $.66 (on sale)
8 Baking Potatoes: $1.25
1 pkg Mushrooms: $.99 (on sale)
Sprinkle of Garlic Powder and Season Salt: $.25

16 Multi-Grain Rolls (bag of 24 for $3.50): $2.33

Total Cost for Dinner: $18.80 (feeding 7 that was $2.69/person)


No comments:

Post a Comment