Friday, October 28, 2011

Slow Cooker Potato Soup






Well tonight is meal #2 from the Whole Young Chicken that I slow cooked yesterday, 
Slow Cooker Potato Soup.

I thought this would be a good idea because tonight our home football team is in the playoffs and I wanted something warm for before the game.

I used the broth I made from last nights chicken, added potatoes, carrots and seasoning 
and put on low for 8 hours.

After 8 hours I added about 2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup bacon bits (I got a package from our local meat locker for $3.99 and have used the package 6 times.  Cooked up the whole pack and then vacuum sealed small batches and froze until I needed them = $.67/meal)

Right before serving I added 1oz sliced cheddar cheese and 2 tsp sour cream (whisked in the sour cream)
I served this with saltine crackers.

Cost of Meal:
Broth from Whole Young Chicken Slow Cooker Meal 
(using for 3 meals pd. $4.58 total for chicken)  = $1.53
8 Small Potatoes (small from local farmers market) chopped into small chunks= $.96
6 Baby Carrots= $.30
 2 Cups Milk= $.50
1/2 cup Bacon Bits= $.67
1 oz Shredded Cheese= $.28
2 tsp sour cream= $.06
Sleeve of Saltine Crackers= $.25
Random Seasonings= few pennies

Total cost for Dinner= 
approx $4.57/5 family members (feeding and extra person tonight) 
= $.91 per person

The great thing is that I will have leftovers for tomorrow 
at lunch making my money stretch that much further :)




No comments:

Post a Comment