Friday, October 21, 2011

Canning Green Beans






My first attempt was at canning green beans.

I was super nervous and had my parents on the phone until I was totally comfortable with what I was doing.

First I washed and cut the ends off of the beans.  I then blanched the beans and then I cold packed the beans (put in the jars with out cooking/boiling) and covered with boiling water.

Then I wiped down the tops of the jars, covered with a warm lid and screwed on the rings.  I then put the jars in a pressure canner and processed my beans at 10 lbs pressure for 20 min (I canned my beans in pint sized jars) (please follow your pressure canners specific directions on each item).
After the pints processed I put on a towel on the counter to cool for 24 hours.  I checked for the lids to seal (they all did :)) and then labeled and put in the basement for later.

All in all this produced 9 jars of beans for the cost of the lids. 

Lids- $1.09 (box of 12)
Green Beans- FREE (gardens produced a TON!)
Jars-FREE 
(if you decide to start canning you should ask around for jars.  
Lots of people have jars that are just sitting around.  Also, watch for jars at garage sales.  My mom and I also have been sharing jars that we have found/have from before)

Total Cost Out of Pocket for beans= $1.09




No comments:

Post a Comment