Friday, October 21, 2011

Canning Chicken Broth






And now I've got the rest of the story...

With the Bones from the $.79/lb Bone-In, Skin-On Chicken I made Broth!

I tried 2 different ways of making broth.

I put bones in a large slow cooker and cover almost to the top with water, carrots, onions, celery, and spices.  I then turned it on low and let is simmer for 8 hours.

The second way I made broth was to put the bones in a large stock pot fill almost to the top with water and added carrots, onions, celery and spices.  I then let this simmer about 4 hours.

I then put the broth in the fridge and when cool skimmed the fat off the top.  I then reheated broth to boiling and filled my jars.  I then processed the broth in the pressure canner for 25 min at 10 lbs. (please follow your pressure canners directions)

Total I was able to make 12 Quarts of Chicken Broth just from the bones of the Chicken I canned.

Total Cost for 7 Quarts of Chicken Breast and 12 Quarts of Chicken Broth=approx $15!





No comments:

Post a Comment