Friday, October 21, 2011

Canning Chicken




Canning Chicken intimidated me a little but once I was done I was so excited how it all turned out!

I bought Bone-In, Skin-on Chicken Breasts at $.79/lb.  Usually I am a fan of Boneless, Skinless but I had a project in mind.

My canning book suggested cutting the chicken into pieces for packing and then to precook it until it is medium done.  I then packed the chicken into hot jars.  Filled with hot water and processed at 10 lbs pressure for 90 min.  (please follow your pressure canners time and methods).

I was able to can 7 quarts of chicken for just over $13.  
Chicken-approx $12
Lids-$1.09/12
Jars-FREE

Total Cost OOP- Just over $13

Now here is the best part.  I didn't just throw away the bones....stay tuned...









No comments:

Post a Comment