Thursday, June 28, 2012

Taco Chicken Bake

Sorry this picture is a bit blurry...

Taco Chicken Bake

Ingredients
1 Cup Shredded Chicken: $.77 (1/4 of crock pot chicken)
2 Cups Brown Rice (can use white if you choose): $.40
1/2 Jar Tomato Sauce (I used pasta sauce and it was fine): $.75
1/2 Jar Black Beans (froze and saved rest for later):  $.35
1 Cup Shredded Cheese (any flavor): $.84
1 Handful Crushed Tort Chips: $.30

Total Cost for Meal: $3.41 (4 servings= $.85 each)

I have been looking for new fun and inexpensive ideas for dinner and this jumped out at me.

I started out by making a slow cooker chicken

Not so pretty but LOTS OF MEAT there!


I took all the meat I could off of the bird and then started my broth for another meal.

The last hour that the Chicken cooked I started a pot of Brown Rice on the stove.

 I made 4 meals worth of servings of rice so I could vacuum seal 
and freeze for other meals (1 cooking session=4 meals :))

I then took 1 cup of rice and spread it on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  


On top of that I added my 1 cup of shredded chicken.


Next I added my 1/2 Jar of Pasta Sauce (any tomato sauce is fine I just had this in stock)


Topped the Pasta Sauce with Black Beans (can omit if you don't like beans)


Put the remaining 1 cup of rice on top of the black beans and then sprinkled Cheese on top.


I then threw this in the oven at 350 for 30 min (until cheese is melted).


 I then crushed up the Tortilla Chips and put them on top of the "Bake".

You can serve this with salsa or sour cream if you wish.



No comments:

Post a Comment